STRAINS and SPRAINS
If you have a strain (eg. Hamstring) or recurrent sprain (eg. Ankle) Dr Tim Low is medically trained in Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine and has extensive experience in identifying the possible cause of your injury or pain and can advise on appropriate management.
There is almost always a cause for a sprain or strain and not just bad luck. It's also not due to getting older!
Common examples include a stiff lower back leading to recurrent hamstring strains or inadequate rehab following an ankle sprain that leads to recurrent ankle sprains.
During your appointment you can expect the following:
History taking where you will be asked several questions related to your strain or sprain. The type of questions you can expect during this consultation include:
- History of the pain, including location, severity, referred pain, things that make the pain worse or better.
- Previous related injuries
- Occupational or Sporting activities
- Past medical history including any medications
- Previous treatments
A physical examination of your strained or sprained region as well as other areas of the body if indicated such as your neck and back.
If needed to help reach a diagnosis, investigations may be required such as x-rays, MRIs or blood tests.
A diagnosis with explanation in laymans terms (non-medical language that is easy to understand) including potential causes
A management plan will then be developed in conjunction with the patient. Management may consist of:
- education of the condition and why it occurred
- advice on what to do and what to avoid making the condition worse
- exercise programs
- return to sport or activity programs
- if required referral to another health professional (physio, exercise physiologist)
It is recommended you make an appointment with Dr Low as soon as you are injured or experiencing pain so he can immediately diagnose the cause of the problem and provide you with accurate management to help you with your symptoms as soon as possible. NO GP REFERRAL REQUIRED.